how to: sparkler painting.


so i did this thing called light painting or sparkler painting.
it was so much fun, & a great summer activity.

what you'll need:
sparklers (i bought 60 & it was just enough for 2 nights of doing it)
a lighter (you'll use it a lot, so make sure it has enough fluid.)
a dlsr camera with manual settings
a tripod (or tall tabletop)
a bucket filled with 3 inches of water

step 1:
find a background (in your backyard or something) that will have no lights shining on it when it gets dark. 
then set up your tripod and camera there. 

step 2:
set your camera to manual mode, then put the ISO to 100 or 200.
if it is still a little bit light outside, go with 100, but if its like pitch black, you should do 200.
set your shutter speed to 8 seconds.
set your aperture to f/11.
set your camera to "self timer" (i do it on ten seconds) & 
"continuous" (i do it on five. the sparkler usually goes out at, or during, the fifth one.)
& make sure your flash is OFF.

step 3:
wait for it to get pitch black. 
at my house we usually wait until about 9:45ish.
so sit down, eat your ice cream, and wait.
& make sure all your patio lights are off too.

step 4:
click the shutter button, and run to the place where you're gonna take the picture.
you now probably have about 7 seconds left to grab the lighter & light up the sparkler.
so light it up......
and for the first few pictures, just do simple shapes & stuff. 
words are tricky because you have to write it backwards.
but if you want to give it a go, then by all means do!

so if you did it exactly the way i explained it, 
your camera should wait 10 seconds before the first picture takes,
then it will take 5 pictures continually for 8 seconds long each.
i always count the clicks of the camera so i can know if im supposed to be done or whatever.

so yeah! now take a look at some pictures that didnt work, so you can see how to not do them:
letters arent realistic enough..

lighting the sparkler too late, and too high of ISO.

two different people writing the words, so its not even & very sloppy.

now, take a look at the pictures that did work:





cool right?
so now try it for yourself. :)

hannah mae

M  – (September 30, 2014 at 8:12 AM)  

Yes pretty cool! Woah I actually so need to try this! I love your blog. You're an amazing photographer just wow!!! I can't imagine having to write backwards in sparklers but this is beautiful. New follower!

-M
The Life of Little Me

Abigail Lennah  – (February 3, 2015 at 8:07 PM)  

These are so cool! I wish I can do this, but I don't have a DSLR... possibly, if I get one this year, I will try this. I'm going to bookmark this page. I love the one that says "Smile" best. :) "You're never fully dressed without a smile..."

xoxo Morning
http://theworldthroughmywindowsill.blogspot.com/

Maiya  – (April 11, 2015 at 2:14 PM)  

That's adorable! Love your blog so very much ♥ I'm so glad I found it today!

hugs

~Maiya~

maiyamac.blogspot.com

Maiya  – (April 11, 2015 at 2:14 PM)  

That's adorable! Love your blog so very much ♥ I'm so glad I found it today!

hugs

~Maiya~

maiyamac.blogspot.com

Maiya  – (April 11, 2015 at 2:14 PM)  

That's adorable! Love your blog so very much ♥ I'm so glad I found it today!

hugs

~Maiya~

maiyamac.blogspot.com

Maiya  – (April 11, 2015 at 2:14 PM)  

That's adorable! Love your blog so very much ♥ I'm so glad I found it today!

hugs

~Maiya~

maiyamac.blogspot.com

sofia nikula  – (April 19, 2015 at 11:25 AM)  

this is so awesome! thank you for the tips! :)
-sofia, stars unseen

Aimee Van  – (May 1, 2015 at 7:27 AM)  

This is the coolest! I have to try it out!

Thanks so much for the tip! x Chasing Cloudy Dreams : In my recent post are some photographs and I noticed you're a great photographer... would you care to give me some pointers? It would mean so much to me! <3

Anonymous –   – (May 12, 2015 at 8:12 AM)  

This is great! I'll have to do this sometime..!! Thanks for your tips!!
Lovely blog, by the way! Glad I come up around it today!

Mariya - nameisayiram.blogspot.com

Faith  – (January 2, 2016 at 12:34 PM)  

these are SO cool! I want to try this some time! Your photography is stunning!

princessfaithm.blogspot.com

Lauren Emily  – (July 6, 2016 at 7:02 AM)  

Oh my goodness, these photos are amazing! One of the goals on my Summer Bucket List is to learn how to photograph in manual mode... fingers crossed!

Lauren | Sincerely, Lauren Emily

Post a Comment